There are several ways to improve one’s oral health such as brushing, flossing, and mouth rinsing. However, preventing or treating a severe condition known as gum disease requires more than that. Gum disease is also known as a periodontal disease; it is characterized by an inflammation of the gums which may affect the surrounding teeth and bones. At Saad Smiles Dentistry, we offer Gum Disease Treatments to protect the tooth from decay, eliminate plaque and prevent gum recession that may lead to tooth loss. Our utmost priority is to provide the dental health care and comfort for our patients.
Symptoms of Gum Disease:
- Receding Gums
- Bleeding gums
- Misaligned teeth
- Chronic bad breath
- Swollen and tender gums
- Deep periodontal pockets
- Teeth that are loose
What Causes Gum Disease?
The bacterias found in plaques often causes gum disease. Dental plaque is a sticky substance formed by the combination of bacteria, mucus, and other particles stuck in the mouth. The immune system of the body automatically fights the bacteria as the plaque advances below the gumline. When this happens, the body’s natural response along with bacterial toxins begin to damage the gums, periodontal ligament and alveolar bone. The teeth then eventually become loose, and gum pockets deepen allowing more bacteria to accumulate.
Several contributing factors may also include:
- Hormonal Changes (occurs in women during pregnancy, menopause, puberty, monthly menstruation)
- Illnesses (cancer, HIV, diabetes)
- Medication that causes dry mouth
- Bad habits such as smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages
- Poor oral hygiene practices
- A family history of the disease
Gum Disease Treatment
- Dental scaling is performed by using hand and ultrasonic instruments. Before the procedure starts, the dentist will examine the mouth. An ultrasonic scaling device is used to scrape off the tartar and plaque buildup from above and below the gumline.
- Root planing is a procedure that smoothes rough spots on the root surface to remove bacteria, plaque and biofilm development that contributes to developing such condition. The procedure is undergone to minimize the inflammation of the gum tissue.
- Gum grafting is a treatment undergone to repair receded gums. The three types of grafting procedures are:
- Connective-tissue Grafts
- Gingival Grafts
- Pedicle Grafts
Periodontal treatments preserve the dental health of the patient, but it does not stop there. The procedures could also boost the confidence through fixing the unsightly smile and bad breath caused by the disease, thus, promoting an excellent mental and emotional well-being.
If you are suffering from periodontal disease, schedule an appointment with Saad Smiles Dentistry for Gum Disease Treatment in Livonia. Our dental office is located at 8810 Middlebelt Road, Livonia, MI 48150.