- It is a good idea for us to get dental sealants placed on teeth for children. For one thing, they make the surface of the tooth become smooth and flat. Thus, food particles have no hiding place to hide in. This is a very big thing to keep oral hygienic conditions well and good. This measure goes a long way in protecting the teeth from cavities and caries. Dental sealants, in fact, are bits of plastic kind of substances which are put into the fissures of the teeth. Usually, they are used for the premolars and molars since they have fissures on them which could do with filling up.
- Dental sealants are also tooth colored. Hence, they provide an overall pleasant kind of appearance to the tooth or teeth since they get totally filled up with them. The tooth surface becomes a single and clean color and thus, it looks nice and good to any person who interacts with the person or the child with the sealants on his or her teeth.
- Sometimes children do not have the habit of looking after their milk teeth. In fact, they do not take care of them because they feel that the milk teeth are soon going to fall off and new, permanent ones come in their place. Hence, they do not bother much with them. Such teeth are really prone to infection and tooth decay. Hence, sealants can offer a solution to this issue since they will close the fissures and hence there is not any space on the teeth surface for the food particles to get caught in.
- Dental sealants, if they are properly cared for, can take care of the teeth for as long as ten years. This is a very long time and thus it is a good idea to have sealants for this long a duration as protection for your teeth. The child will be far better off with the sealants on his or her teeth. However, not all parents are aware of the sealants and their benefits. Thus, it is a good idea for dentists to educate parents about these matters. A good pediatric dentist will talk to his or her patients and their parents about the effectiveness and use of dental sealants and their use.
- Dental sealants, however, have at times come the scanner for one of the plastic components being harmful to children’s health. It is best to come to a suitable conclusion about this matter after consulting a good pediatric dentist. The patient should not take a decision on his or her own regarding this issue. Any good pediatric dentist will be able to guide the patient about this. Thus, such talk is best left to experts. However, there is no doubt that ailments like gingivitis and periodontitis are somewhat put at bay if one uses dental sealants for the children.
For more details contact: 8810 Middlebelt Road, Livonia, MI 48150. Call: (734)421-2675.